The Mummy MOT® is a specialist postnatal examination provided by specially trained women’s health physiotherapists for mums after both vaginal and C-section deliveries, no matter how long ago this was.
Did you know during childbirth 85% of women sustain a perineal trauma, 60% will need suturing or an episiotomy, 6% have Grade 3-4 tears and 50% have some degree of symptomatic or asymptomatic pelvic organ prolapse
In November 2015, The Mummy MOT® project started to address the global crisis in postnatal care, helping to provide clinical support, offer a specific diagnosis, and guide mums in regaining strength and fitness after pregnancy and delivery.
The goal of a Mummy MOT®
- Provide a comprehensive postnatal screening consult for mums
- Provide a safe space for mums to share their journey, fears, and challenges
- Listen attentively and provide support with a recovery programme
- Identify postnatal urinary incontinence, pelvic organ prolapses, diastasis rectus abdominis (separation and healing of tummy gap), and dyspareunia (sexual pain / dysfunction)
- Educate on functional rehabilitation, strength & conditioning, and return to fitness
- Provide relevant resources for the presenting postnatal condition, and address any worries and concerns you may have
Who is it for?
The Mummy MOT® isn’t just for new mums, it can benefit women many years after delivery no matter the type of delivery. If you are still suffering from any ongoing issues, rest assured you are not the only one and your symptoms can be resolved! Did you know:
45% of women have urinary incontinence at 7 years postnatal
1 in every 10 women will require surgical intervention for pelvic organ prolapse by the age of 80
Prevalence of diastasis rectus abdominis following childbirth is 60% at 6 weeks, 45% at 6 months, and 33% at 12 months
1 in 4 women experience pelvic floor dysfunction after having a baby irrespective of the mode of delivery
During the appointment
The appointment is an hour long and can be booked from 6 week postnatal up until any time in life. It consists of:
- A discussion about your medical history and an in-depth history of your pregnancy, delivery, and presenting symptoms and/or challenges.
- Assessment of your breathing, posture, balance, movement and strength. This includes performing a series of basic exercises. We recommend wearing comfortable clothing for you to move around in. Most of the assessment will be completed in your underwear.
- Checking your tummy to see how your abdominal muscles/tummy gap is healing (Diastasis Recti) and to check for any hernias. If you have had a C-section, your scar will be checked. If time allows, the session may also include some treatment, such as scar tissue massage.
- An internal pelvic examination to check for any pelvic organ prolapse, assess your pelvic floor function and to ensure you can perform your pelvic floor exercises properly.
- At the end of the session, we’ll clarify your findings and go through the exercises that are appropriate for you. Your home exercise program will be emailed to you, including videos and instructions, so it’s easy to remember and follow.
Booking an appointment
We advise you wait until you’re 6 weeks postnatal to book your appointment to allow for healing and for your own comfort. You can book a Mummy MOT® at anytime in life, no matter how long ago your delivery was. All our women’s health physiotherapists are mums themselves so we understand you may need to bring along your baby and that’s absolutely fine!
Book your appointment online here: https://recentre-health.co.uk/womens-health-bookings/
Find out more about our Women’s Health Physiotherapists here: https://recentre-health.co.uk/physiotherapy/womens-health/
You can read more about The Mummy MOT® on their website here: https://www.themummymot.com/