Post-Natal support at reCentre Health
Congratulations on the arrival of your baby! Growing and delivering a baby is a major process for any women's body and we offer a range of specialist treatments to help support you during this time. Remember, the post-natal period is not just after having a baby but for the rest of your life so getting the right care for you is vital.
The Mummy MOT®
The Mummy MOT® is a specialist postnatal examination for mums after both vaginal and C-section deliveries, no matter how long ago this was.
The Mummy MOT® was created by Maria Elliot to in November 2015, to address the global crisis in postnatal care, helping to provide clinical support, offer a specific diagnosis, and guide mums in regaining strength and fitness after pregnancy and delivery. Our specialist Women's Health Physiotherapists have been trained to provide The Mummy MOT® at reCentre Health.
The aim of the appointment is to assess your pelvic floor, abdominal muscles and check for any prolapses to see how you are recovering after childbirth. Your specialist physiotherapist will then provide you with treatment and exercises to aid your recovery and return to exercise and fitness. We recommend booking anytime after 6 weeks for a vaginal delivery and 8 weeks following a c-section.
- A discussion about your medical history, and an in-depth history of your pregnancy, delivery, and presenting symptoms and/or challenges.
- Assessment of your breathing, posture, balance, movement, and strength. This includes performing a series of basic exercises. We recommend wearing comfortable clothing you can easily move around in. Most of the assessment will be completed in your underwear.
- Checking your tummy to see how your abdominal muscles/tummy gap is healing (Diastasis Recti) and to check for any hernias. If you have had a C-section, your scar will be checked. If time allows, the session may also include some treatment, such as scar tissue massage.
- An internal pelvic examination to check for any pelvic organ prolapse, assess your pelvic floor function and to ensure you can perform your pelvic floor exercises properly.
- At the end of the session, we'll review our findings and go through the exercises that are appropriate for you. Your home exercise program will then be emailed to you, including videos and instructions, so it's easy to remember and follow.
Our specialist Women's Health Physiotherapists can treat a wide variety of conditions which can arise following pregnancy. Many women live with the below conditions for years and whilst they may be common, they are not normal and can be treated and resolved with help from our specialist women's health physiotherapists.
- Urinary incontinence and urgency
- Bladder and bowel weakness
- Rectus diastasis (tummy muscle gap)
- Pelvic floor weakness
- Pelvic organ prolapse
- Episiotomy and tears
- C-section recovery
- Musculoskeletal pain (back and neck pain, knee and foot pain, carpal syndrome, de quervain tendonitis)
- Pelvic pain
- Back pain
We offer specialist treatment with a Physiotherapist for blocked ducts and mastitis due to breastfeeding which can help to relieve pain and the blockage to support you on your breastfeeding journey.
This treatment helps to relieve the painful symptoms that can arise from blocked ducts or mastitis but cannot identify what is causing these. We recommend having this treatment alongside seeking advice from a lactation consultant, who we are able to refer you to.
- An initial assessment to identify your symptoms - blocked ducts, mastitis or engorgement
- Therapeutic ultrasound treatment to help remove the blockage and treat inflammation with heat and vibration
- Breast massage alongside ultrasound to create movement and release blockage
- Advice, education and referral to a lactation consultant if needed. Please note this appointment does not identify any latch or feeding problems causing your symptoms but it does treat the pain and symptoms. We recommend seeing a lactation consultant to help any feeding or latch problems to stop the symptoms occurring.